Monday, November 5, 2012

The Art of Compromise


The one question that I have about tomorrow’s election is for the next four years, what will I have to compromise?  Every four years in November, I go and I cast a vote in a general election of different federal, state and local races, and every time I leave wondering if I have just settled and accepted something because what I wanted was unattainable.  Wondering if or what have I compromised.

I’m a natural born analyzer, and I carefully look at what I might gain versus what I may lose.  I ponder on whether or not I want to give up something, what I’ll have to pay to give it up, and if what I have to pay for what I’m giving up is worth the price.  I’m wondering if I gave up something that I did not even need to lose.  I'm wondering why the process of voting is becoming more and more difficult.

The art of compromise is nothing new.  The history of The United States Presidential election, Article Two of the United States Constitution originally established the method of presidential elections, including the Electoral College.  This was a result of a compromise between constitutional framers who wanted the Congress to choose the president, and those who preferred a national popular vote.   So again this is nothing new.  I just hate wondering if I have compromised in any way my civil liberties, my rights, or my freedoms because I’m going out on a limb to believe that for the next one thousand four hundred and fifty six days, after whomever says the words “So help me God” that they’ll actually look to God to help us as a Nation.

 So I have mixed thoughts about tomorrow’s election.  We as a country are setting out on an adventure over the next four years.  God Speed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment