Thursday, January 4, 2018

What’s your driving force for 2018?

Happy New Year! I hope it found you doing well, and like me, amped about becoming better.  Every year around this time I get uber excited about climbing to another year viewing different horizons; sometimes I get there, sometimes I get close, and sometimes I miss the mark completely.  Change can be hard, especially when we jump in with both feet, and the momentum dries up quicker that acetone nail polish remover when the air hits it. I understand; this is one of the worst feeling ever.   I’ve compiled a personal list of items that I deem detrimental to my success in 2018.  Sometime this year, maybe six months from now, I’ll share my list and we’ll see how I’m doing making the mark on eliminating them for my life.  I intend to go hard this year to tear down systems in my mind that have hindered me in the past, therefore creating a lifestyle change, and one I can definitely notice.

The thing is we can’t give up.  Nope we can’t.  We have to realize just like it took time to get where we are, it’ll take time to build momentum and its hard work to keep it going.  But again it’s doable.  Be realistic and start with small obtainable goals at first.  Challenge yourself but don’t overdo it.  Once you begin to set small realistic obtainable goals, and you accomplish what you’ve set out to do, you start experiencing success, and that helps build confidence and momentum.  Change one behavior at a time, don’t overwhelm yourself.

Aim for lifestyle changes instead of resolutions.  I hate those. New Year resolutions are almost always guaranteed to fail.  According to Medical Daily  it’s been estimated that only eight percent (8%!) of people who make a New Years’ Resolution actually succeed.  The article reads:[1]  “The annual tradition of breaking a New Year’s resolution is observed perhaps just as strictly, if regretfully, as that of making one. Research into motivation, for instance, knows that for a task to be accomplished, the actor must genuinely want to complete it — wanting it to be completed isn’t enough.”  Hmm, sounds like me after my 1st week of exercise. 

A lifestyle change on the other hand is a process.  It comes from strong motivation, getting inspired, getting, being, and staying prepared, and getting excited to get there.  You have to make it a process, and you have to do it daily.  You have to work towards what you’re wanting to change.  If you’re making small strides toward change; you’d be surprised how quickly they can add up to major lifestyle changes.  For example, if you want to become vegetarian, eat 3 vegetarian meals for one week, see how that goes.  If you’re still motivated, add a day every week for the next 4 weeks.  Then look back at your success; that’s four weeks, all 7 days totaling 28 days, you’ve eaten vegetarian.  It takes only 21 days to form a new habit!

Read, study and look for free resources to help you achieve your goals and to maintain them.  The internet is a beast, but it also is a wonderful cyber world where you can find information on anything.  Use it, wisely.  Stay prepared.  Unpreparedness is like being a soldier in war and having no equipment or weapons to fight the battle.  Whether it’s through prayer, research, meditation, using a planner, or  whatever you fancy, just get prepared and stay prepared.

Lastly, have fun with yourself, wherever you are in your walk.  Just have fun and enjoy yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment