Monday, January 22, 2018

Becoming Pescatarian…Again


As you all know I’m always preaching about, writing about, thinking about lifestyle changes.  I mentioned a while back that I would be implementing some new ideas into my world to shake up my stagnant eating habits.  One thing I changed is I became a pescatarian…again.  Yep that’s right, four years ago Queen She known as me lived a pescatarian lifestyle and enjoyed it thoroughly.  Why’d I go back you ask?  Well let me be a little transparent and share.  I went thought a breakup and I considered it a major emotional setback in my life, and I allowed myself to partake in some very unhealthy habits; the one I considered most catastrophic was my eating habits.  

So it has taken me four years to come back to self, and come back to center.  This is my new window into my new journey with pescatarianism.  Walk with me.

What is pescatarianism?  It’s basically a vegetarian diet that also includes fish and seafood.  Some eat dairy, some do not (I do, however it’s limited to eggs; my cheese and milk is dairy free).  The main opinion of some of my carnivore friends is “Tina that’s is too extreme and it’s a setup for failure”,  but I’m telling you as a person who has walked this walk before it’s not extreme at all, and way less intimidating that booting meat altogether.  To me it’s like a reset button on, and at the same time, a kill switch to the unhealthy version of myself.

There are some great health benefits to being a pescatarian  like  the omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins in fish, but there are also some cautions to be aware of as well like consuming too much mercury.  So what’s key to making sure you’re on the right track?  Balance and being informed . Make sure you’re eating a great amount of vegetables, grains, fruit, and know where your favorite fish is coming from; is it coming from a farm in China or is it wild caught? Does it have too much mercury, or too much antibiotics? So you have to do your research and be in the know so you can make informative purchases and meals.  I try and eat wild caught versus farm raised; it works better for me and my genetic makeup, but we all know that can be way more expensive than farm raised, so there are times when I find myself settling for small portions of farm raised to keep my pocket book (lol) from busting at the seams.  I hate how expensive it is to eat good and healthy, but how inexpensive and pocket friendly it is to eat what’s bad for you….another blog post….another time.  [Sighs softly]  [Walks away slowly]

I’m having fun with pescatarianism now; I’m experimenting with new recipes, and I’m bringing back some of my old ones.  This is the 5th week, and it’s okay, I’m okay.  I feel good.  I’m hoping this is a change that will stay with me for years to come, so you all pray for my strength, and that I succeed with becoming a better me. 

Oh SN:  Look at my garlic shrimp I've mastered with the help of YouTuber Chef Buck.  YUM!
If you have any great recipes please share!  



No comments:

Post a Comment