Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Favorites of a Wine Drinker

About six years ago, I decided I wanted to become a serious wine drinker.  I didn't know a lot about wine, and I didn't want to become a connoisseur but I knew the fruity, sparkling, high fructose corn syrup beverages I was consuming wasn't the real thing.

So full of determination, I ventured out by myself one day for a glass of the real.  The first one I tried was a Chablis.  Not knowing that while I didn't want a glass of sugar, I also didn't want something dry as the dessert.  I wasn't ready for it; I hated it, it is way to dry for me.  This was enough for me to head back to the fruity stuff, but I had only had one kind  of wine, so I decided not to stop there.  I decided the next one I would try would be a red. 

 I went on a retreat with some co-workers and I told them what my mission was as far as wine drinking, and these women gave me the 411 on wine.  They told me all about the different grapes and how some wines will be very dry from one wine maker, and another wine maker will make the same wine and it'll turn out to be my favorite.  That night several of the ladies there bought bottles of red wine; there was Merlot, Pinot Nior, Shiraz, and Cabernet Sauvignon.  I tried all of them, and Merlot was the winner.  It quickly became my favorite.

I stuck to Merlot for several months then I had the opportunity to attend a wine tasting, They had whites as well as reds. Now I'm all confused; however I quickly got educated further on wine, and I got a chance to taste white wines like Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, and Moscato, I now love all these, 

I am comfortable enough now with my wine palate to have put together a list of what I call my favorites.  If you're wanting to take your wine drinking game to another level, try surfing the web to find a wine tasting near you or a wine club that offer memberships, some clubs offer memberships for as low as $21.95 a month.  Enjoy your learning experience, I did.  Oh and please do not drink and drive, and please drink responsibly!

Favorite Wines                                                           Favorite Brands
Gewurztraminer                                                           Barefoot
Merlot                                                                          Yellow Tail
Malbec                                                                         Clos du Bois
Pinot Nior                                                                    Panilonco
Chardonnay                                                                 Bodega Elena De Mendoza
Moscato
Shiraz
Riesling
Sweet Red
Roscato

No comments:

Post a Comment