Thursday, June 28, 2018

It's Six Months Later, Let's See How We're Doing.

Hey guys!  Welcome back.  I wanted to circle back around to my blog post of January 4th, and let you know how I’m progressing.  So when I first started my eating better lifestyle, I went for the Pescatarian diet; a plant based diet that includes fish.  I also consumed eggs and cheese.  It’s been going great.  I recently gave up all fish with the exception of salmon, tuna and crab.  I don’t eat these often, maybe once a month.  I also let go of eggs and cheese; I feel like I'm headed towards vegetarianism, leaning more towards veganism.  I haven’t put a time frame on it, as I get asked a lot “so when are you going straight this or straight that.”  I am just so glad to be eating better, and I’m excited at the possibilities of trying new vegetables, fruits and recipes.  

I’m not afraid of tofu anymore! Yes, I was afraid of tofu because I hated the mushy inside of tofu, and even though it’s one of those proteins that will pick up any flavor you put on it, it never would spark up a love between me and it.  Well, through one of the trusty websites/youtubers/food artists I follow, she taught me how to cook it so the texture and flavor is the same throughout. Now we love each other, tofu and I!  

The different things you can do with fruits and vegetables, soy, seitan, pea protein is endless.  Sometimes I feel like I’m cheating! There are so many products out there that assist with missing the flavor and taste of certain animal proteins.  The company Beyond Meat has an amazing burger and other 100% plant protein products that taste amazing, and I use the online grocery store Vegan Essentials, it has everything! I’ve lost a few pounds, but the biggest change I’ve noticed is how I feel after I’ve eaten; I’m not bloated, I’m full but I don’t feel stuffed, and my tummy doesn’t hurt.  I think I have a healthier gut! LOL

I wanna share some of the food bloggers I follow on Instagram , these are probably my favorite:   
Thechicnatural
Thedomesticgeek
Minimalistbaker
Young.and.vegan
Thatchocolatevegan
Pescatariandiva
Jenn’s Journey

Also I have an Instagram page called lapetite_eats where I post photos of some of the dishes I make, or whatever I feel like posting related to food.  Go check it out.  

One of my favorite pasta dishes is pasta with alfredo sauce.  I’ve mastered one that everyone in my house will eat.  Here, I feel like recipe sharing:

2 tablespoons vegan butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled, and chopped
1 can of Goya cream of coconut
1 cup of starchy water from cooked pasta
2 teaspoons cornstarch or flour (optional, not everyone likes their sauce thickened, plus the coconut milk will thicken it some too)
2 cups Go Veggie! Shredded mozzarella cheese alternative

Melt butter slowly, and add olive oil.  Stir oil/butter mixture, and add garlic.  Cook until fragrant, and slightly brown.  (you can add more garlic if you like it garlicky…like me).  At this point, add other seasonings if you like, like salt and pepper, red pepper flakes) Next, shake very well, and then pour in the cream of coconut.  Stir until mixed well with the garlic.  Mix well the cornstarch with water.   Pour slowly into cream mixture.  Once it begins to thicken, add your cheese.  Once you have your desired consistency, toss with your cooked pasta.   Unless you are using an entire box of pasta, this will be a lot of sauce.  I always use an entire box of pasta with mine, and I add veggies like broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, etc. My daughter is a meat eater, and she adds chicken to hers.



I'm progressing well.  I'm still excited about ridding my life of the unnecessary, no matter what it is. Let me know how you've been doing since the beginning of this year.  If you're running very well with the plans you set out with, HOORAY! for you, if you're struggling, and not quite there, keep going, keep trying, you'll get there.

As usual, I hope you comment below and click the follow button to the right.  Have an awesome time doing you, during your day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment