Monday, January 28, 2019

Developing Your Best Self

"I am a woman of substance.  Success is not withheld from me. I am strong and built to succeed." – The Holy Spirit

A mantra.  A word, a sound, a phrase repeated to aid in concentration during meditation.  An affirmation to motivate and inspire you to be your best self.  Used to provide encouragement when you need to focus your mind to achieve a goal.  The statement above, that’s my mantra.  

Even though mantras have been around for at least 3,000 years, in present day we see them everywhere; on social media with the famous hash tag on Instagram, we pin them to Pinterest, or even in songs like Toni Braxton’s Let it flow, where she tells us to “Just let go and let it flow” (I’ve used this one so many times in the last 20 +/- years).

Happy Black Woman founder Rosetta Thurman introduced me to mantras and how effective they can be in my everyday life.  In 2011, I did her 31-day Reset Your Life program and one of the assignments given, in fact the first assignment given, was to create a mantra.  Changed my mindset so much that every year, I encourage myself to create a new one.  Why not? We can evolve! (but that’s another blog for another day).

Studies have shown that when we are feeling overwhelmed and flooded with thoughts of every kind, repeating a mantra can help bring about very real change in our mindsets and everyday lives.  In the world we live in today, stereotyping and mental disorders of all kind are present, front and center, every day and are attaching themselves to or attacking people’s though process.  Constantly.  It’s good to have mantras as a way of kicking negativity out of the psyche or simply changing an unwanted aura. We may not be able to control the situations that surround us all the time, but we can control ourselves and how we respond. It’s not always easy, but it’s doable.

Share! Drop your mantra below in the comments and let us know how it helps you. If you haven’t gotten one yet, get busy! Start the process to creating the mindset you want to have.  Happy creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment