HAPPINESS is a mental or emotional state of well-being defined by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. - Wikipedia
Mental or emotional state of well-being. That seems like a lot to ask for let alone thinking we can obtain in the world we live in today. It’s so chaotic sometimes, and it’s difficult to carve out routes to ensure we have mental or emotional well-being. I have 6 little nuggets that come to mind right off the bat that help me daily. It’s a struggle, but it’s doable. Here they are.
1. Appreciate what God has given. It makes me happy to know that I am mentally able to appreciate all things that God has given me. He gives me provisions, hope, security, and dominion. I am loved by Him. I am content. I am extremely blessed.
2. Execute the power of choice. Didn’t know it was a power? Let me tell you, oh yes! It is. The ability I have to choose what gets to me and how I handle it is amazing when I exercise the power I have to choose. I choose to let go of all the B.S., I choose to keep moving when others say I can’t. I choose to be happy when others can’t function on a daily basis without having animosity towards me…..I choose to love and pray for them anyway. Is it sometimes hard? Yes. Is it doable? Yes. And afterwards it’s a release, and the heaviness of being bound by unforgiveness is no longer mine to carry.
3. Believe in myself. If I don’t who will? If I believe, I can achieve. All I have to do is push myself out of the way and like Nike says, just do it. My will, determination and the belief in me is more than enough to make all my dreams a reality.
4. Stay positive. Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” Whatever we dwell on mentally, directs our mindset. We are what we think. It’s a choice we can easily make; use the kill switch on the negative and reinforce the positive.
5. Love yourself. Loving me and all my flaws is a fantastic way to get a head start on learning to love others and accept their flaws. It’s empowering. It gives me an appreciation of who I am, and whose I am. It helps me to forgive so I can heal. Remember, God is love. When I think about that alone, and the feeling I get from within, that’s how I want to feel all the time, even in the midst of uncertainty and chaos…I love on me.
6. Be compassionate. Something has to move us. Move us to help someone who’s sick, who’s hungry, who’s in trouble, who’s homeless, who needs someone to talk to. Ask “can I help you”. I’m not saying jump in with two feet and just put yourself in a situation that could be detrimental and turns out not to be helpful at all but a burden, but I believe God puts nuggets in my path daily, actually hourly where I can help, even if it’s my smile used to brighten someone’s day.
And there you have it, six of my many nuggets to help me navigate the waters in life. I'm adding to my list daily, but these are a great start to help jump start you. Enjoy.